The Add Product tool can be used to add a new product to your web storeís inventory. Once the new product has been added, it will become available for purchase on your site through the search engine and the pages you create. Follow the instructions below to add a new product to your web storeís inventory.
Note: the Description, Long Description, and Confirmation Message fields support the use of HTML if you choose to use it. Also keep in mind that not all of the options covered in this section are required; read the description for each option and evaluate whether or not your product requires its use.
This will complete the basic product creation process. You should now perform any additional configuration tasks necessary for the product. See the following descriptions below for more information, or select one of the links for detailed step-by-step instructions pertaining to a certain task.
- Open your web storeís Merchant Tools in a browser. Click the Store Inventory link, then select Add under the Products section.
- Enter the information for your product, beginning with the Product ID. The Product ID should be unique to this product. Avoid using spaces and special characters; text and numbers will be best.
- The Product Name should be a brief descriptive title or label for this product.
- The Product Name plural should be the title or label used to refer to more than one of this product.
- The Product Price should be the price for this product. Enter numbers only; do not use currency symbols.
- Select a Manufacturer from the Manufacturer drop-down, or else select New Manufacturer and enter the name of the itemís Manufacturer in the field to the right.
- Select a Vendor from the Vendor drop-down, or else select New Vendor and enter the name of the itemís Vendor in the field to the right.
- Select your images. In the Product Small Image field, enter the path to a thumbnail image for this product. If no image is available, simply leave the field blank to use the Product Large Image. In the Product Large Image field, enter the path to a larger image for this product.
- The Link should be the path to a larger image of the product, a page with more information, or anything you choose. When customers search your inventory for this product, the Product Small Image in the search results will be linked to this path. If no Small Image is specified, the Large Image will be used instead. If no Large Image is specified, the default image for the product's Category will be used.
- The Product Short Description should be a brief description of the product item. This can be up to 255 characters. This is the information that will be shown when the item is displayed as the results of a search using search.asp. If no Product Short Description is entered, the Product Long Description will be used instead.
- The Product Long Description should be a more detailed description of the product item. This can be up to 32,000 characters. When detail.asp is used to generate a product page for this item, the Product Long Description will be displayed.
- The Confirmation Message should be the message you would like to have displayed to customers when they add this item to their carts.
- Check Activate Product to allow customers to purchase this product from your web store.
- Click the Add Product button to add this item to your inventory.
Attributes: StoreFront supports the use of an unlimited number of product attributes, which can be used to vary the price of an item or to allow a customer to select additional options or characteristics for an item.
Categories: The Category designation you assign to a product item can have a great impact on how easily your customers can locate the item when searching your web store.
Sales/Discounts: this menu allows you to place an item on sale, configure Volume Discount Pricing for an item, or allow customers to add Gift-wrapping to an item.
Inventory: one of the enhanced features of StoreFront 50 Advanced Edition is the Inventory Tracking and Management function, which allows you to keep stock counts for each item and to prevent customers from purchasing more of an item than your inventory contains.
Shipping: use this menu to enter additional information about a product that will be used in the calculation of shipping costs for orders containing that product.