Configuring Carrier-Based Rates
StoreFrontís ability to obtain real-time calculations of shipping costs from DHL, LTL, CanadaPost, UPS, USPS, and FedEx makes it the ideal e-commerce program for any site selling heavy or bulky products that incur high shipping costs. Carrier-Based Rates use the StoreFront Server Component and other server components to get up-to-the-minute quotes of shipping costs based on the total weight of the items in an order.
Before you begin configuring your Carrier-Based rates, make sure that every product you want to charge shipping for is not marked Shipping Exempt. You can verify this by opening the product's record for editing, then checking to make sure that Activate Shipping is checked. Also make sure that every product that you will be charging shipping for has a weight. If a weight is not specified, the shipping calculation will default to the Backup Shipping method (see below). You can verify the weight of a product by opening its record for editing and then verifying that there is a number entered in the Weight field. Be aware that, depending on your location, not all of the shipping methods that are a part of Carrier-Based Shipping will be available to you. Consult the UPS, FedEx, and USPS web sites for more information.
- Open your web store's E-Commerce Manager in a browser. Click the link for Shipping Configuration.
- Under Shipping Methods, select Carrier-Based Rates.
- Select the shipping methods you will support by checking or unchecking each of the methods listed. The methods that are selected will be listed in a drop-down menu at the checkout page, where your customers will choose one as they finalize their orders.
- Under Carrier-Based Shipping Options, select the country where your distribution center is located and the zip code of the area that products are being shipped from.
- Different shipping services have different registration requirements. You don't need to worry about registering for a service that you don't plan to offer to your customers; you can pick and choose the shipping options your site offers. See the following list for more information:
UPS: UPS requires that merchants register at https://secure.storefront.net/upspost.asp before being allowed to use UPS' online shipping calculation tools. You will be provided with a username and password after registering.
USPS: USPS requires that merchants register at their site before being allowed to use USPS' online shipping calculation tools. You will be provided with a USPS username and password after registering.
FreightQuote: Freight Quote requires that merchants register before being allowed to use Freight Quote's online shipping calculation tools. Register with Freight Quote by clicking the Enroll link on their web site at FreightQuote.com or by calling them at 888-595-7767. After registering, you will be provided with a username and password.
CanadaPost: CanadaPost requires that merchants register by calling 1-800-260-7678 before being allowed to use their online shipping calculation tools. You will be provided with a username and password after registering.
FedEx: no prior registration is required for your web store to be able to offer its customers FedEx shipping rate calculations.
DHL: no prior registration is required for your web store to be able to offer its customers DHL shipping rate calculations.
- Enter the login information for each shipping service in the appropriate fields under the Carrier Based Shipping Options section.
- Select and configure a backup shipping method. This is the method that will be used to calculate shipping if the Carrier Based Rates fail for some reason. See Product-Based Rates and Value-Based Rates for more information about configuring these shipping methods.
- Click Submit to apply the new shipping method.